When you think about networking and making you know in your community, something that may not have come to mind is teaching.
Many local communities have organizations that need community experts to teach on different topics.
Look for the Lifelong Learning Center.
You probably have a place you can start with. Also, look for local groups that need speakers to teach something.
- College Clubs: These clubs often need free speakers to teach their groups something at their weekly or monthly meetings. This will help you practice your skills, but it will also help you connect with the university in a new way as an expert.
- Organizations – Find a list of business organizations (often Chamber members) in your area, and send each of them a list of things you can teach their members along with examples of your work if you have recorded yourself . It is more than likely that they will call you the first time to replace someone at the last minute, you have to be prepared.
- Networking events – In some cases, people who plan networking events also need speakers or people to act as presenters. You can get on the list by joining your local speakers bureau or by contacting the event organizers directly.
- Learning Centers – We’ve mentioned the Lifelong Learning Center, but there are other local learning environments that may be helpful to you. For example, some communities have business centers for women, business centers for minorities, etc. You can teach something even if you are not part of the specific community.
- Online courses – You can also create online courses using programs like Teachable.com. Then reach out to your local community with the lessons using a specific ad on Facebook to spread the word.
- Publish a book – Another great way to teach what you know is to write and publish a book of some kind on “how to do it”. This can fit any niche. It is also very easy to self-publish these days. You can do it through Amazon Kindle.
- Churches – Smaller churches sometimes have speaker slots on Sundays. The reason is that they may have a pastor who is on leave and they want to bring information to their congregation. You’ll want to look for slightly alternative churches to send your information to, along with your book and a sheet so they know what you’re going to talk about. Some churches even pay you by sharing the plate or allowing you to set up a table to sell your books and information before and after your talk.
These are all ways to teach what you know so that you are better known in your community.
If you think of any talk or speech as simply teaching what you know, it may be easy for you to do so if you are nervous.
You can practice at home, on YouTube, through Facebook Live or through other means to feel more comfortable teaching what you know.